T O M F E R R E R O
• Master of Fine Arts degree – Metalsmithing & Jewelry Design
• Provisional Art Teacher Certification in the state of Maine
• Completed course work – K-12 Teaching Certification in Art Education
THE UNIVERSITY OF AUCKLAND at Manukau Institute of Technology
Manukau City, New Zealand
• US Fulbright Scholar
• Post Graduate Diploma of Visual Arts
ROCHESTER INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, School for American Crafts
• Bachelor of Fine Arts degree – Metalsmithing & Jewelry Design
• Concentration – Perspective on Religions
MEDIA USED IN PROFESSIONAL RESEARCH
• Precious & semiprecious metals & gemstones (Gold, silver, copper, brass, steel, diamonds, rubies, tourmaline, etc.)
• Alternative materials (Enamel, resin, stone, bone, plastic, wood, found objects)
• Ceramics/Pottery (Hand building & wheel throwing)
• Painting (Predominately Acrylic on board/canvas)
• Photoshop – Digital manipulation of imagery
August 2016 – Present
MARANACOOK COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL
Art Instructor & Advisor
• Courses taught: Drawing 1, Drawing 2, Painting, Sculpture and Darkroom (Black & White) Photography.
• Develops curriculum and implements a variety of proficiency based assessments.
• Performs technical demonstrations and provides lectures relevant to the subject matter.
• Facilitates critiques with an emphasis on logical arguments supported with evidence.
• Identifies material and equipment needs and handles part of the ordering for the department.
• Mentor to 8 students – Performs role as academic counselor and advocate.
January 2017 - Present
UNIVERSITY OF MAINE - AUGUSTA
• Courses taught: 3D Design.
• Instructs students in core concepts specific to three-dimensional artwork.
• Assignments focus on design/industry concerns for 3D work as well as fine art/sculpture concerns & aesthetics.
• Facilitates group work and team activities as well as individual art making.
• Designs curriculum, assignments, and grading systems.
• Incorporates historical & contemporary artists into courses.
• Invites members of the public to engage with students about their artwork and arranges field trips, beneficial for students.
• Determines material/tool needs for course and secures supplies.
• Supplements in class work time with lectures, presentations, critiques and readings from textbook.
January 3, 2009 – April 29, 2011 & January 1, 2013 –2016
NSCAD UNIVERSITY: Craft Division
Assistant Professor – Metalsmithing & Jewelry
• Courses taught: Intro to Holloware, Holloware 2, Senior Studio, Advanced Techniques 1, Advanced Techniques 2, Intermediate: Casting & Mold Making, Jewelry Methods 2 and Steel Techniques for Jewelers.
• Techniques covered: Angle & crimp raising, forging, sinking, creating anticlastic and synclastic forms, patination, pouring ingots, tube making, hydraulic press and die form construction, casting, mold making, keumboo application, etching, limited production work, faceted stone setting, cabochon stone setting, chasing and repoussé work, steel tool making, fabricating catches and mechanisms, damascene inlay, and approaches to surface embellishment.
• Have experience with enameling and anodizing and working knowledge of resin, wood and stone inlay.
• Instructed students in proper techniques of photographing and documenting artwork.
• Held regular office hours and advised undergraduate and graduate students on academic issues, technical, conceptual and design problems, possible career options as well as business and marketing advice.
• Have a working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
• Headed Visiting Artist Committee for Jan 2010: contacted, recruited and coordinated visiting artist lecture and workshop. Instrumental in bringing visiting artist to NSCAD in Nov. 2010 and Feb. 2011.
Sept 2011 – June 2012
KENTS HILL SCHOOL
Artist in Residence & Instructor
• Taught Art Foundations which covered: Introductory drawing skills, the fundamentals of 2-dimensional design, color theory and its application, introductory painting, concerns of 3-dimensional design and introductory ceramics.
• Taught Intro to Metalsmithing and Jewelry Making, which covered many of the essential skills required for the medium. (Refer to courses I taught at NSCAD)
• Taught evening Metalsmithing AND Ceramics/Pottery Throwing workshops to the greater Augusta community.
• Assisted with coaching the Outing Club: Acted as guide and instructor for students on hiking trips, canoeing and kayaking excursions, etc.
INDIANA UNIVERSITY: Fine Arts Dept.
Associate Instructor / Instructor of Record – 3D Design Foundations
• Taught 4 semesters of 3D Design Foundations.
• Provided students with a comprehensive understanding of both 3D design theory and studio practice.
• Emphasized the Elements and principles of design, the Psychology of design, Object/ground relationships, Multiple vantage points, Structural considerations as visual considerations, Methods for effective critiquing, Color theory and Exposure to contemporary 3D artists.
• Instructed students in materials such as Wood, Steel Wire, Plaster, Stone, Clay, Cardboard, Fabric, PVC Pipe, Upholstery Foam, Found objects and Acrylic paint and demonstrated how to manipulated these materials through processes such as carving, joining, additive and subtractive modeling, and a range of fabrication techniques.
• Provided the entire 3D Department and students with illustrated, procedural handouts that I made for techniques such as: Working with clay, Constructing with wood, Carving with plaster and stone and Manipulating steel wire to name a few.
• Gave students readings focused on the visual arts from writers such as Tolstoy, and guided students through the process of analyzing the text in class discussions.
• Introduced a “wearable sculpture” component to the foundations curriculum, which required students to explore the interaction between form, space and the body. Students later performed in their constructions with great enthusiasm, hinting at the potential for a possible collaborative project between the Fine Arts and Theater Departments in the future.
2004 - Present
CAMP LAUREL: Interarts Dept.
Department Head of Metalsmithing
• Instructs 6 jewelry and metalsmithing classes (to approximately 120 students, ages 7 - 15) in the traditional art and techniques of the medium.
• Facilitates critiques and discussion about aesthetics.
• Introduces students to both historical and contemporary artists.
• Designs projects to challenge students both technically and conceptually and cater to a wide range of ages and artistic abilities.
• Manages a staff of 3 studio assistants.
• Responsible for anticipating the needs of the studio and oversees the ordering of all supplies, tools and equipment.
• Keeps tools and equipment in proper working order and performs minor repairs when necessary.
• Helps coordinate an area wide art show.
• Provides tours of the studio to outside groups and interested parties.
2004 - Present
TOM FERRERO STUDIO
• Owner, Metal Artist, Painter, Designer. Constructs and designs hand-made jewelry and art pieces out of gold, silver and precious stones. Also produces one-of-a-kind painted works on canvas.
ROCHESTER INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Metals Studio
Artist in Residence
Rochester, New York
• Gave demonstrations, which included stone setting and stamping applications and taught metal working techniques to new students.
BARBARA HEINRICH STUDIO LLC.
Pittsford, New York
• Fabricated high-end jewelry, predominately 18k and 22k gold earrings and necklaces with diamonds.
NEW ENGLAND STERLING
Production Silversmith, Assistant to the Manager/Head Silversmith.
• Handled advanced soldering applications of large silver pieces in mass quantities. Supplied work to Tiffany & Co.
AWARDS, EXHIBITIONS, LECTURES & PUBLICATIONS
2019 BELFAST FINE CRAFT SHOW – MAINE CRAFT GUILD: Belfast, Maine
2019 MAINE CRAFT ASSOCIATION – TEN YEARS OF MASTER CRAFT ARTISTS: Fuller Craft Museum, Brockton, Massachusetts
2019 THE PLACES IN BETWEEN, Solo Painting Exhibition: Harlow Gallery, Hallowell, Maine
2017 SQUARE: Harlow Gallery, Hallowell, Maine
2017 RAW SPACE: Augusta Art Walk, Augusta, Maine
2016 JKC LAS VEGAS: Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada
2015 TRANSFORMATIONS: Bevier Gallery, Rochester, New York
2015 NATIONAL ART ENCOUNTER: The von Liebig Art Center, Naples Art Association, Naples, Florida
2014 RPT EXHIBITION: Anna Leonowens Gallery, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
2014 MEMBERS SHOW: Harlow Gallery, Hallowell, Maine
2013 ART IN CRAFT MEDIA 2013: Burchfield Penney Art Center, Buffalo, New York
2013 ELEMENTS: Annmarie Sculpture Garden and Art Center, Dowell, Maryland
2013 LAYERS OF MAINE: SOLO PAINTING EXHIBITION: Harlow Gallery Annex, Augusta, Maine
2012 THE TEAPOT REDEFINED: Mobilia Gallery, Cambridge, Massachusetts
(Work purchased for private collection by the Kamm Teapot Foundation)
2012 APPALACHIAN CENTER FOR CRAFTS FACULTY EXHIBITION, ACC Gallery and Tennessee Tech. University, Smithville, Tennessee
2012 KENTS HILL ART EXHIBITION: The Maine Lakes Resource Center, Belgrade Lakes, Maine
2010-2011 METAL ARTS INVITATIONAL EXHIBITION: Bevier Gallery, Rochester, New York
2010 CREATIVE NOVA SCOTIA GALA: Pier 21, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
2010 ARTIFACTS OF FANTASY: SOLO SHOW, The Gallery, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
2009 ARTIFACTS OF FANTASY: SOLO SHOW, Anna Leonowens Gallery, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
2008 SOFA Chicago: Stack Ring Show, Yaw Gallery, Festival Hall/Navy Pier, Chicago, Illinois
2008 ARTIFACTS OF FANTASY, Indiana University Art Museum, Bloomington, Indiana
2008 REFLECTIONS IN METAL, Fuller Gallery, Bloomington, Indiana
2008 OVERFLOW EXHIBITION, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, Georgia
2007-2008 EXPLORING BOUNDARIES: Evolutionary Metal, Bevier Gallery, Rochester, New York.
2007 METAL ART EXHIBITION, Foundry Art Centre, St. Charles, Missouri
2007 MULTIPLES: The Art of Repetition, Heidi Lowe Gallery, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
2006 DAZZLE: Contemporary Art Jewelry and Auction, SoFA Gallery, Bloomington, Indiana
2005-2006 WEARABLE EXPRESSIONS, Palos Verdes Art Center, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
2004-2005 200 RINGS (traveling) EXHIBITION, Velvet da Vinci Gallery, Obsidian Gallery, Gallery M, & Sam Shaw Gallery, Northeast Harbor, Maine
2004 EXCHANGE EXHIBITION, Konkuk University, South Korea – Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York
2004 LA PETITE XI, Alder Gallery, Coburg, Oregon
2004 STONE/S: A Piece of Rock for a Specific Function, Saint Louis Artists’ Guild, St. Louis, Missouri
2003 NECKWEAR IV, Masterworks Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand
2003 NEW TO NEW ZEALAND: Exhibition of Artists Born Overseas and Now Living in New Zealand, Masterworks Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand
2002 OF PEOPLE AND ART: Interpretive Visions,” The Huntington House Museum, Windsor, Connecticut
2002 AMALGAMATE – National Student Metals Invitational, Slocumb Galleries, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tennessee
2002 FOUR PERSON SHOW, Mill Gallery, Rochester, New York
2000 THE LANGUAGE OF HANDS EXHIBITION, The Society for Contemporary Crafts, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2019 Master Craft Artist Award. Maine Craft Association. Lifetime membership
2016 1st Place, Saul Bell Design Award (Hollowware/Art Objects), International competition
2015 Award of Merit, NATIONAL ART ENCOUNTER: The von Liebig Art Center, Naples Art Association, Naples, Florida
2012 1st Place, Saul Bell Design Award (Hollowware/Art Objects), International competition
2011 Dunn, Russell & Jacobs Fund – Honorarium recognizing excellence in teaching
2009 1st Place, NICHE Professional Award (Metal: Sculptural)
2009 1st Place, NICHE Professional Award (Jewelry: Silver)
2008 Think Tank 3 Fellowship – Symposium/seminar for university educators teaching Foundation Art programs (competitive grant, nominated and awarded)
2008 Robert Harrison Scholarship for excellence in metalsmithing and jewelry design
2006 NICHE Student Award Finalist (Metal: Non-wearable, Functional)
2005-2006 The Chancellor’s List, For academic achievement
2005-2006 1st Place (Associates Award) WEARABLE EXPRESSIONS, Palos Verdes Art Center, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
2003-2004 US Fulbright Grant to New Zealand
2002 2nd Place in OF PEOPLE AND ART: Interpretive Visions, The Huntington House Museum, Windsor, Connecticut
1999 Aaron Rosenstrike Award from the School For American Crafts, Rochester Institute of Technology
1998 Pinnacle Award in Graphic Design, American Institute for Graphic Arts
1998 Best of Design Award, The Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum
2019 Magazine: Artscope, A Teachable Moment: 10 Year Maine Crafts Retrospective at Fuller. July/August 2019 issue.
2019 Newspaper: Sun Journal, Livermore Falls Advertiser, Maine: Vienna’s Tom Ferrero Named 2019 Master Craft Artist Award Recipient (May 22, 2019)
2019 Newspaper: Sun Journal, Business, Maine: Tom Ferrero Gains MCA Master Craft Artist Award (May 14, 2019)
2019 Newspaper: Sun Journal, Encore, Maine: Tom Ferrero of Vienna is the Recipient of the 2019 Master Craft Artist Award (May 13, 2019)
2019 Magazine: Maine (ArtMaine), 2019 Annual Guide. Showcasing 91 of Maine’s most collectible artists. Artwork featured inside on page 73.
2017 Book: Tales from the Toolbox: Narrative Jewellery
2016 Book: Acrylic Works 4: The Best of Acrylic Painting – Captivating Color. Jamie Markle
2015 Magazine: Metalsmith, (Vol. 35, No. 5). A SNAG publication. Artwork featured on the front cover. Interview with me inside.
2013 Book: Showcase 500 Art Necklaces. Lark Books
2011 Book: Earrings. Lark Studio Series
2011 Book: New Rings: 500+ Designs from Around the World. Nicolas Estrada
2010 Book: 21st Century Jewelry: The Best of the 500 Series. Lark Books
2010 Book: 500 Silver Jewelry Designs. Lark Books
2010 Publication: The Telegraph Journal, March 20, Salon: Fredericton’s Fantastic Planet. Editor Mike Landry
2007 Book: 500 Metal Vessels. Lark Books
2007 Book: Best of America Jewelry Artists & Artisans Vol 1. Kennedy Publishing
2007 Book: 500 Earrings. Lark Books
2006 Book: Making Metal Beads, Techniques, Projects, Inspiration. Lark Books
2006 Book: The Art & Craft of Making Jewelry, A Complete Guide to Essential Techniques. Lark Books
2005 Book: Fabulous Jewelry from Found Objects. Lark Books
2004 Publication: The Buffalo News, Oct 27, Burchfield Exhibit Showcases the Artistry of Crafts
2004 Book: 1000 Rings, Inspiring Adornments for the Hand. Lark Books.
Workshops & Lectures
2019 Lecture: Mace, Concept to Completion – New Brunswick College of Craft and Design, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
2018 Lecture: Mace, Concept to Completion – University of Maine at Augusta, Augusta, Maine
2016 Workshop Given: Primitive Casting Techniques – Sunbury Shores Arts and Nature Centre. Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
2016 Lecture: Mace, Concept to Completion – University of Maine at Augusta, Augusta, Maine
2016 Lecture: Mace, Concept to Completion – Artsworth, Ellsworth, Maine
2015 Workshop Given: Molten Metal! – Cuttlefish Casting. For Art Teachers Association of Nova Scotia. NSCAD University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
2015 Lecture: Mace, Concept to Completion – New Brunswick College of Craft and Design, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
2014 Workshop Given: Embellishment – Objects of Adornment, Roller Printed Pendant. For Art Teachers Association of Nova Scotia. NSCAD University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
2013 Workshop Given: Moving Metal. For Art Teachers Association of Nova Scotia. NSCAD University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
2013 Workshop/Lecture Given: Introduction to Fabrication Techniques – Windsor High School, Windsor, Connecticut
2012 Guest Juror for the University of Maine at Augusta, Student Art Exhibition, Charles Danforth Gallery, Augusta, Maine
2011-2012 Workshop Given: 8 Week Intro to Metalsmithing and Jewelry Making: Hollow Constructed Rings – Kents Hill School, Kents Hill, Maine
2011 Workshop Given: 8 Week Intro to Metalsmithing and Jewelry Making: Hollow Constructed Rings – Kents Hill School, Kents Hill, Maine
2010 Workshop Given: Anticlastic and Synclastic Forming – New Brunswick College of Craft and Design, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
2010 Workshop Given: Stone Setting – New Brunswick College of Craft and Design, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
2010 Lecture: Work and Influences – New Brunswick College of Craft and Design, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
2009 Lecture: Work and Influences – Anna Leonowens Gallery, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
2018 Mentor for University of Maine Augusta. Program for students in their final year to connect with professional artists for guidance.
2013 NSCAD Portfolio Day. Reviewed portfolios of prospective students and advised them on ways they could enhance their application. Forwarded recommendations on to the university.
2010 In charge of search, contact, greeting and facilitation of workshops for Visiting Artist Leonard Urso at NSCAD University.
2010 Assisted with logistics surrounding Visiting Artist Donald Stuart’s arrival and workshops at NSCAD University.
2010 Responsible for recruiting Visiting Artist, Rebecca Annand to give CAD-CAM & Jewelry lecture at NSCAD University.